Poisoning is one of the most serious problems that a dog can experience. One substance that can be toxic to dogs is antifreeze. A dog that has swallowed antifreeze needs immediate veterinary care. However, there are some things you can do to try and help your dog before you take them to the vet or in the event that a vet is not available. The steps you can take are outlined below.
What immediate actions should you take if your dog has swallowed antifreeze?
- You should remove your pet from the poisonous substance immediately.
- If the dog has vomited, clean the dog's mouth with tepid water for about fifteen minutes. You can clean out the animal's mouth with a shower head or a spray hose from the kitchen if this is available. Do not aim either the shower head or the hose to the back of the animal's mouth since this can cause water to get in their lungs. Instead, you should aim the hose at different angles of the animal's mouth.
- Collect a sample of the vomit in a plastic bag so that it can be analyzed and tested.
- Get the dog to a veterinarian.
How and when should you induce vomiting in a dog that has swallowed antifreeze?
If your dog has swallowed antifreeze and has not vomited within two hours, then you can try to cleanse your dog's stomach by inducing vomiting. You will need the following items to induce vomiting in your dog:
- Hydrogen peroxide
- A large, needle-less syringe or a turkey baster
- A teaspoon
Here are instructions on what you should do next:
- Make sure that the hydrogen peroxide has not expired.
- Put one teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide into the syringe or turkey baster and squirt it as far back into the dog's mouth as you possibly can.
- Look for signs of vomiting. Vomiting should take place in at least fifteen minutes.
- If, after fifteen minutes, the dog still has not vomited, you can squirt some more hydrogen peroxide into the back of the animal's mouth.
- Once the dog vomits, collect a sample of the vomit.
- Try to get the dog to a veterinarian as soon as possible.
Once you have gotten your dog the necessary help, the next step you should take is to make sure that you pet proof your home so that all poisonous substances are well out of the reach of your pet.
To find out more about emergency veterinary care, click on the link.