vet well-visits for your petsvet well-visits for your pets

About Me

vet well-visits for your pets

Do you do everything in your power to keep your furry family members healthy for as many years as possible? How often do you take your pets to the vet? Do you wait until your pet is sick or injured before taking him or her in for an examination? Did you know that there are several illnesses that can be caught early during a regular well visit? Go to our blog to find out what your vet could find in your pet that could save his or her life if it is caught early. By the time you finish reading, you will be ready to schedule a well-visit for your furry family member.

Latest Posts

Is Your Dog Sick? Use These Tips to Transport Them to a Hospital
27 September 2016

When your dog has become ill or injured, it is nat

Keep Your Dog Safe At Your Outdoor Party
27 July 2016

Even the most well-behaved dogs can get out of han

3 Reasons To Get Your Dog's Teeth Cleaned Regularly
15 July 2016

If you go to the dentist regularly to get your tee

Worried About Your Cat Messing With Their Spay Site? 3 Tips To Help It Heal
4 July 2016

Getting a cat spayed comes with a number of benefi

Kitty Suffering From Ulcers? 4 Tips To Help Relieve The Discomfort
7 June 2016

If your cat has been prescribed aspirin to treat a

4 Signs That Your Dog May Have Eaten Chocolate

You have probably always heard that it's bad for dogs to eat chocolate. However, if you aren't careful, there is always the chance that your furry friend could get into your stash. If you find that your dog has consumed chocolate in any quantity, it is important to take it to a local animal hospital, such as Stewartstown Vet Services, as soon as possible. Then, your veterinarian can induce vomiting or use an IV to flush the chocolate out of your dog's stomach and prevent the chocolate from getting into your dog's bloodstream. These are a few signs that your dog might have eaten chocolate and might need to see a vet right away.

1. Vomiting

Although one of the main treatments that veterinarians suggest is inducing vomiting, there is a good chance that your dog will vomit on its own after consuming chocolate. You can also check your dog's vomit to look for signs of chocolate consumption, such as chewed-up chocolate wrappers or ingredients from the chocolate that you have in the house, such as nuts. Even after your dog has vomited, it's still a good idea to take them to the vet.

2. Excessive Energy

Just as children can get energetic from eating chocolate and adults can get a bit of a pick-me-up from eating it, dogs can get very hyper and energetic after consuming chocolate. Many owners think it's fun to see their dogs act this way, but if this is abnormal behavior for your pet, you should ensure that it has not eaten any chocolate. Along with playing energetically, your dog might show other energetic signs of chocolate consumption, such as pacing.

3. Extreme Thirst

If your dog simply will not step away from its water bowl, you should look for potential danger signs that your dog is sick. Extreme thirst could be a sign of a lot of problems, including chocolate ingestion. Basically, this is your dog's natural way of trying to flush the toxic chocolate out of its system.

4. Seizures

Many dogs suffer from seizures after consuming chocolate, especially if your dog is a smaller dog or if it consumed a very large quantity of chocolate. You should not hesitate to take your dog to an animal hospital if it is showing signs of seizures.

It isn't just an old myth that dogs can become very sick if they consume chocolate. In fact, your dog could die from chocolate ingestion. Luckily, taking it to an animal hospital will help you get your dog the treatment that it needs.